Monday, May 11, 2009

Good Monday Morning!! My First Tutorial!

Yes, I know it's Monday and I am late in showing you the card I made for Mother's Day. Sorry about that! But my mother didn't get her card until today. I'm so embarrassed that I didn't get it mailed in time for her to have it on Mother's Day. *hangs head in shame* Well, at least now she has it and I am very happy about that. So here it is! What's that? You say that I usually go on and on before showing you my card? Oh, sorry... hmmm, what can I talk about to prolong the suspense? Well, my Mother's Day was nice for the most part. DH took me out to eat (3 kids in tow) to Outback for supper last night. We drove almost an hour to get there (yes, we live in the middle of nowhere) and then we had to wait for 1 hour and 20 minutes before we were seated!! It was crazy busy! And we even got there before 6 pm, so I thought we'd have a 30 minute wait at the most. I was very proud of the kids, though, because they behaved well. Once we sat down we ordered a yummy....I'm sorry, what did you say?... oh! now you *want* me to get on with it and show you the card?? Ok, Ok, geesh there's just no pleasing some people. JK! You know I love y'all!

Here it is!! This is the card all closed up.


And here's what it looks like opened up!! Isn't it cool??


I got the basic layout from This Card over on SplitcoastStampers. Isn't this such a great idea?!

What a neat way to showcase some great DSPs! In fact, Stampin' Up! is having a sale on Double Sided Papers, as well as Textured Cardstock, this month! When you buy 3 packages of DSP or Textured CS, you get one for FREE!!! You can mix and match and there is no limit to the number of packages you can get for Free! If you are interested in seeing more, just click HERE and visit my Stampin' Up! website. You can click on the Shop Now button at the top of the homepage and shop 24/7. Don't miss out on this fantastic deal!

After I made this card, I realized that it was too big to fit in a standard card envelope. So in the future I would modify the measurements to create a bit of a smaller card. As it is, it worked out for me. Because I was mailing the card to my mother, I wanted to use some padding around my card to make sure it didn't get crushed in the process of mailing. So I used a larger envelope and wrapped the card in some thin bubble wrap. (I love that stuff! I had such a hard time not popping the bubbles before I sent it off in the mail!! lol)

You can find some basic instructions under the comments on the card in the link. However, I have made up some that are a little more detailed, just in case any of you are like me and you need more instruction. Woo Hoo, my first official tutorial! Bear with me. :)

You will start with a piece of cardstock that is 6" x 12". Here I used a textured cardstock in Certainly Celery, but in the card above I used Kiwi Kiss Textured Cardstock.

Using the scoring blade, score at 2", 4", 8" and 10".

(in my pictures you will see an extra score line in the middle. Just ignore that, I got a little score happy!!)

Replace the score blade with the cutting blade. Turn the cardstock and place the left edge on the 1 1/2 " mark (on the silver part of the base). Now put arrow of the orange blade thingy at the 2" mark on the plastic ruler guide and cut the cardstock from the 2" mark down to the 10" mark. The pictures are blurry, but I hope you can see what I mean.




Now repeat this step for the other long side. And you should have a piece that looks something like this:

Now you are ready for the folding. First, fold the far left panel to the back and the far tight panel to the front.

Next you will work with your 4" set of score lines. (we are working left to right, and you have already folded the 2" and the 10"lines) Fold the top and bottom score lines in valley folds and the larger middle line in a mountain fold. Then move onto the 8" score lines and fold them in the opposite direction. ie, fold the top and bottom lines in mountain folds and the larger middle line in a valley fold. After you have folded them all you should have something that looks like this:

Now you are ready to carefully fold it all together and really crease the score lines. When you have it nice and creased you are ready to decorate.

And just because I love y'all so much, I am even going to give you the dimensions of the panels that I made to decorate the card. (I did vary from this a little for my middle 3 panels)
The Left and Right Vertical Panels are 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 and 1 x 5 layered.
The 4 small rectangles are 1 x 1 1/2
The 2 long rectangles are 1 x 3 1/2
The Left and Right Middle Panels are 2 1/2 x 3 and 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 layered
The Middle Panel is 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 layered

I used the Bella Toile DSP and Rose Red, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White Cardstock, and the Kiwi Kiss Textured Cardstock. Heartfelt Thanks and All Holidays Stamp Sets. Chocolate Chip, Rose Red and Kiwi Kiss Ink. The Bigshot with the Birds and Blooms dies for the flowers. Hodgepodge Hardware for the silver brads and slide. White Satin and Chocolate Grosgrain Ribbons.


Well, that's it for today's post. I hope you like the tutorial. I would love to hear what you think! Thanks for stopping by and have a Stamptacular Day!!

11 comments:

  1. This is so fantastic! i can see all sorts of ideas for this card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is Beautiful, and I Love this technique!! I had seen it somewhere else and thought it would be a great card for a swap I am doing, I am always looking for something different.. LOL

    Thanks so much for taking the time to give us all the folds/dimensions, etc.. I'm sure your Mom Loved her card.. :)
    ~shelly~

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tutorial and a fabulous card. thank you for sharing.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tonya,

    Loved your tutorial...inspired me to get right at it. I changed the color scheme a little and the stamps I used...but I love how it turned out.

    The only thing I will do differently next time is not score the whole way down the paper where it is not needed - like the main image sections in front and back, I think this may give the card a little more stability and it might lay nicer when closed.

    Thanks again for sharing the instructions. Here is a link to my version of this fold (which I've dubbed the lattice fold):

    http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1345996?nocache=1

    TFS! TFL! - Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tonya, Thank you for sharing your first great tutorial with us! It got me inspired to get right to it.

    I changed the colors and stamps used, and dimensions of the layers a little bit...and the only thing I would do differently next time is to not score down the entire length of the paper - only score where needed - I think that would give the card more stability and help lay closed better...but come on who's gonna leave these beauties closed when they stand so nice on a table or desk?

    Here's my take on this wonderful card - which I've dubbed a "Lattice Fold": http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1345996?nocache=1

    TFS! TFL!
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet T, you are da bomb! I LOVE this and shall be CASEing it SOON! Thank you for the inspiration and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Job Tonya! Thanks for the measurements!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all over this! I hope to make my own version tomorrow!! Thanks for the tutorial. I see you are anxiously awaiting New Moon (so am I!) and I was wondering if you've checked out the Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenges yet? We do new craft challenges every Tuesday. So much going on there you'll just have to look! www.twilighttuesday.com

    ReplyDelete