Saturday, April 25, 2009


If you were around for the last Mini VSN challenge that I participated in, then you know that our theme is Viva-las-VSN and all challenges are inspired by things in Vegas (BABY! I'm not sure why I feel compelled to yell out BABY!! every time I say the word Vegas (BABY! - see, there I go again!) but I do. Besides it's fun! Try it!) If you missed the last go around, then click HERE to check it out!

Alright, I finished the first 3 challenges from this morning's MINI VSN. They were lots of fun. I found out a little later that there was a 4th challenge posted at 1pm, but I had to scoot off and cook for a youth group party tonight. I'll do that one later if I get a chance.

Take a lookie at what I have done so far. And as always, I would love to hear what you think!

Challenge Number 1: Inspired by the game of Black Jack. Each element of a card was assigned a points value and we had to choose our elements, add up the points values and try to hit 21! See how clever these ladies are??!! This challenge was harder than it first sounded because I kept going over 21 and going Bust. Finally, I came up with this little card and I am quite happy with it. This is how the points were figured:
  • Each Layer - 1 point
  • Each Ribbon - 2 points
  • Each Stamp - 5 points (Very hard because Each Different Image was 5 points!)
  • Each piece of Hardware - 1 point
  • Each Pattern of Patterned Paper - 3 points
Here's my card:

So my Points were: Layers 6+ Ribbon 2+ DSP 3+ Stamps 10 = 21!! Black Jack!!
I used Stamps: Trendy Trees Paper: Good Morning Sunshine, Pacific Point, Kiwi Kiss, Whisper White Ink:Pacific Point, Kiwi Kiss, So Saffron, Chocolate Chip Other: Sponge, Scallop Edge punch, So Saffron Striped Grosgrain Ribbon
I cut a piece of Kiwi Kiss paper in a hill type shape to go under the trees and sponged on Kiwi Kiss ink to give the paper a stippled look, more like grass.

Challenge Number 2: Inspired by Gold! Gold! Gold! We were to use gold on our cards. Could be gold paper, gold embossing, gold hardware, whatever... The only thing I had on hand that was gold was embossing powder, so I went with it! I made this little Rock Star card for a friend's daughter who is turning 14 soon. The "Rock Star" star was embossed on black cardstock with gold powder and punched out. I backed it with another piece of black cardstock. The other gold stars were made by embossing a piece of black cardstock all over with the gold powder. Then I just punched them out.

Stamps: A Little Somethin' Hostess Set Paper: DSP Hostess Pack, Tempting Turquoise, Pink Passion, Basic Black Ink: Versamark Other: Star punches, White gel pen, Gold Glory embossing powder, Turquoise Ribbon, Scallop Edge punch, popdots

Challenge Number 3: Inspiration was the Cirque de Soile featuring songs by the Beatles. We were to choose a song as our inspiration. I love the Beatles and all of the songs were good ones. I had a hard time deciding. So, I went with a combination of 2, Strawberry Fields and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. For this card I made a faux quilt using DSP and the Top Note die. This was the first time I have tried a quilt and it was a lot of work, but so much fun. Now that I know how to do them, it won't take as long. I also ran the quilt through the Big Shot using the diamond texture plate. So the colors were inspired by the Strawberries and the diamonds were from Lucy!

Stamps: Oval All Paper: Riding Hood Red, Kiwi Kiss, Bella Rose DSP, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White Ink: Riding Hood Red, Chocolate Chip Other: White Satin Ribbon, Scallop Oval punch, Wide Oval punch, Small Oval punch, Big Shot, Top Note Die, Diamond Texture Plate, Zyron, popdots.

I cut a piece of white cardstock 4 1/2 x 5 1/2 for the base of my quilt. I ran it through the Zyron with the adhesive cartridge. I cut the DSP out in 1 inch squares and arranged them on a scrap piece of paper. When I was happy with my pattern, I transferred each square to the white cardstock. If you don't have a Zyron, just cover your base cardstock with adhesive of your choice. I would recommend using SU's Anywhere Glue Stick. After all of the squares were applied, I ran the whole thing through the Big Shot with the texture plate to add a quilted effect to the cardstock. It is impossible to see in this picture, but in real life it looks very cool. Next, I ran the cardstock through the Big Shot again, this time using the Top Note die to cut out the quilt. I can't wait to try this again. The hardest part was deciding how I wanted the squares laid out. Other than that, it was pretty easy and lots of fun.

So I have just about worn myself out with this post! But now I have to go finish cooking the desserts for my son's youth group party. I hope I'll be able to participate in the rest of the challenges, and if I do, I'll be back to post the rest of my creations. Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment